Getting ready to head back to Maryland! It's been a long but good day.
We started off the morning with another set of labs (just blood and vitals, no scans this time). Then we got a break while they processed everything and we grabbed some breakfast. Around 1pm, I took my first dose of the trial medication. Then we stayed in a treatment suite for 6 hours, during which time they took blood and EKGs at certain intervals to measure any reactions I might be having to the drug. At the end of the 6 hour period, they gave me the medication for the next 2 weeks, and we went and had dinner.
Our next appointment is October 10th. Between now and then, I have to take 4 pills twice per day and keep a record of each dose on a form they gave me. On the 10th, I'll go back, get more baseline lab work, take another dose there, and we'll do the whole thing over again. If I'm reading the paperwork correctly, this is only for the first cycle (which comprises 28 days and these 2 visits). After that, it sounds like the visits will be much shorter and simpler. It doesn't specify when they'll be doing more CT or PET scans; I'm not sure if they do that regularly or if it's at the discretion of the doctors.
So far, I feel completely fine and normal. The side effects of this drug so far recorded have been few and mild, so they were not expecting any severe reactions.
So that's where we're at! Officially on the new treatment- please send prayers and positive thoughts that it will do it's job well!
Just waiting for our car now and we'll be on our way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment